Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Almost forgotten history - Barney Rapp

One of the reasons I love digging through old dusty ephemara is the trip through almost forgotten history it can lead you on.

   A week or so ago I made a great pick of over pieces of vintage sheet music and as I have been posting them in our ebay and etsy shops, I have been researching the cover artists (both illustrators and performers) and finding out more about music in the 1920's-1930's.

      A really fun find tonight was Barney Rapp.

I had a piece of sheet music with "Featured by Barney Rapp and his New Englanders" on the cover so I searched Barney Rapp on ebay and you tube to find out more about him (and what kind of ball park to price my item in).

  I found this:

    Barney Rapp promotional postcard


And this:

Barney Rapp You Tube video

  
     Apparently Barney Rapp was one of the first performers that Doris Day sang with, it seems that she was a young teen at the time ( this rings true with information I remember from a biography I read about her years ago) so at that time, Barney Rapp would have been the star and Doris Day would have been a novice singer getting her first big breaks.

    Funny how time changes things around.

 Here is a link to the sheet music I posted for Grrl Pickers on eBay:

    Just A Year Ago Tonight Barney Rapp and his New Englanders sheet music      
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment